Serves: 2 – Prep Time: 10 – Rest Time: 1h
- 3 large bowls
- Microwave or double boiler
- Electric beaters
- 4 oz (100 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1½ tbsp (20 g) butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar (20 g)
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Place in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Stir, then heat for 15 seconds and stir again, repeating until the chocolate is melted. Alternatively, melt the chocolate and the butter in a double boiler. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into separate bowls.
- Using a whisk or electric beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar to the bowl of yolks and mix well. Pour the yolk-sugar mixture into the chocolate, mixing while you pour to prevent the yolks from curdling. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Food Safety Note: Consuming raw eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions. Young children, the elderly, and pregnant women are also at increased risk. If your market carries pasteurized in-shell eggs, they are a safer option than regular raw eggs.