French shortbread cookies, or sablé breton come from the region of Brittany, in the West of France.
In this part of France, a lot of the recipes are made with salted butter.
Ingrédient for 15 cookies:
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar (50 g)
- 1/2 stick of salted butter at room temperature (60 g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup of flour (150 g)
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
Directions for your French shortbreads cookies:
- In a large bowl, pour all the ingredients: sugar, butter and egg yolk, flour and baking powder.
- Mix with your hands.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spread the dough with a rolling pin.
- Cut with round cookie cutters.
- Place on a sheet pan coated with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
If you only have unsalted butter, you can add a big pinch of salt.