The onion soup is most definitely the Parisian comfort food dish.
This simple warmhearted dish can make any tastebuds happy. And you probably already have everything you need in your pantry to prepare it.
15 min prep – 40 min cooking
For 4 people
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp of oil (Olive or canola)
- 1 tbsp of wheat flour or corn starch
- 32 fl oz of vegetable broth
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 slices of country bread
- 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese
- Peel and cut the onions into thin strips.
- Put a slightly oiled pan at medium heat. When hot, cook the onions slowly for 5 min. The onions must be golden brown.
- When done, add a spoon of flour and mix with a spatula.
- Slowly add the broth while mixing. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook at medium heat for about 30 minutes. The soup must become slightly thick.
- Pour the soup into 4 ramekins.
- Turn on your oven on broil position.
- Add a slice of bread on top of the soup, sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Gluten free option: if you want this dish to be gluten free, just use cornstarch instead of wheat flour, and choose a gluten free bread. (There are a lot of options available)